- 21-04-2021: Apologies for the radio silence! I've finally gotten around to updating the site with everything I've been meaning to. I've added a little bit of new information to the Ikeno bibliography and sequels & prequels pages, and also updated the gallery pages with new furoku and scans of an old Ribon issue:
27-03-2021: Ikeno will start serializing a Tokimeki sequel in the July issue of Cookie magazine, on sale May 26th. The sequel will be set directly after the end of the Aira arc, and feature Ranze in her late 30s/early 40s. I'll report back when we know more!
I also received 9 new furoku and added them to:
- Ranze furoku 1984
- Ranze furoku 1986
- Ranze furoku 1987
- Narumi furoku 1988
- Narumi furoku 1990
- Aira furoku 1991
- Nanoka furoku
I plan to update the site with some non-furoku information soon-ish — something I should have done long ago, because Ikeno has been doing some adorable collab work recently and also released some new manga. :) Make sure to check back!
- 18-02-2021: I received 9 new furoku and added them to:
- 07-02-2021: Belated happy new year! Yesterday, the Ribon editorial staff twitter announced that the next issue of Ribon (April issue on sale March 3) will include a zen'in service featuring Tokimeki. I have added as much information as I could find to the manga merchandise page.
- 30-12-2020: Received a Narumi furoku and Ririka furoku and added them to the gallery. Also added a bunch of scans of the Narumi furoku 1989 diary. I'm glad I could update this site one last time before the new year; hope you all have a good 2021!
- 04-11-2020: Added scans of "Ranze & Yōko friendly bag" to Ranze furoku 1985. Also added a few more paper bag scans here and here. That makes 900 original images to this site!
- 01-10-2020: Site moved to medoroa.neocities.org/tokimeki
- 29-04-2020: Added information about the gacha pouches that were supposed to be released this month, but which have now been postponed.
- 22-04-2020: Added three photos to merchandise showing three pieces of merchandise I own: the two door mats from Belle Maison, and the Ranze pin from the Ribon exhibition. The Tokimeki gacha should be coming out at the end of the month, but no new information has been released so far — I'll be keeping my eyes open for that and will report back if I see any images!
- 07-02-2020: Ribon will collaborate with Uniqlo to release tee-shirts featuring art from popular Ribon series, including Tokimeki. You can see the Tokimeki design on the Uniqlo site. I probably won't pick it up since it's not really my style, but it's amazing that new merchandise keeps coming out!
18-01-2020: I decided to simplify the design of the site and change around a few things. I'm quite happy with it, although I might come back and fiddle with the main index.
I've also added a few items to the gallery:
12-01-2020: Happy new year! Recently fans have discovered that a series of capsule toys will be released featuring Tokimeki, so I've added what little information is out there to the merchandise page.
I've also added some items to the gallery:
- Ranze furoku "humming rack", "obento bag", and "oshare trunk"
- Narumi furoku "dai-curcus file", "lovely box", and "hiking set sugoroku"
- Ranze arc chapter 1 color pages
I still do have a few more items to add, but those might take me a while. :) Please check back in the following months!
31-12-2019: Apologies for the long silence, but here's a big update to round off 2019! I've received a package with furoku and a few other goodies, and it'll take me a while to add everything to the site, but for now I've added:
- Ribon exhibition mirror and tickets
- Ranze arc magazine scans
- Narumi arc novelty telephone card
- Ranze furoku '86 diary, calendar, and "jewel box"
- Narumi furoku '89 diary, stickers, cards, and other paper items
There are more Ranze and Narumi furoku as well as zen'in presents upcoming!
- 22-11-2019: I've been on a collecting kick again lately, and picked up two small Ranze furoku (a postcard and a plastic sleeve) as well as four zen'in present telephone cards. I hope to receive more items before the end of the year, so make sure to check back!
- 06-11-2019: A four-page interview with Ikeno about her childhood home was featured in the November 14th edition of weekly Bunshun magazine. It dives into Ikeno's personal life in a way we've rarely seen before and is available on Amazon and other retailers.
- 31-10-2019: I've added a sub-section to this site about Ikeno's romantic comedy series Heroine ni naritai. A translation of chapter 1 is currently available there, and chapters 2 and 3 should be soon underway!
- 26-09-2019: New M4 skincare collaborations have been announced, and I've added some information and links to the merchandise page.
- 25-09-2019: The November issue of Cookie magazine will include a joint interview with Ikeno and shōjo manga legend Hagio Moto. The print edition will go on sale September 26, while the ebook edition will be available October 1. I'll report back when the ebook is out!
- 26-08-2019: Japanese skin care brand M4 will release a starter set of five skin care products in collaboration with Tokimeki. The set will cost 1.480 yen and comes with two clear files featuring black and white art of Ranze, and can be pre-ordered on the Mandom official online shop. M4 reportedly plans more collaborations with Tokimeki in the future!
- 25-08-2019: I've added one Ranze furoku bag and one poster. That's it for the furoku I own for now!
- 20-07-2019: I added a bit of information about the Manga-michi tankōbon to the bibliography page. It was a great publication, and easily availabe as ebooks!
- 18-07-2019: The Ikeno Koi 40th anniversary merchandise from Belle Maison have been released, and they look amazing! You can find more details and links on the merchandise page.
08-07-2019: Added images of a Ranze furoku bag. I have a couple more furoku items that are really hard to scan, but I'll get to them eventually!
Details have also come out about the three new tankōbon being released on July 18th, and they look exciting! Etō Ranze no takarabako will include the 2006 side story "Mori no naka", previously not included in any tankōbon, and the digital edition will reprint all six pages in full color. The two Manga-michi volumes will include two of Ikeno's old short stories, "M.Y-sama ni sasagu" (1979) and "Shōbu ari!" (1980), also never included in any tankōbon, with the digital edition including three color pages from "Shōbu ari!" Additionally, Manga-michi will include photos of Ikeno's work desk and other items of interest to fans.
- 03-07-2019: Updated the merchandise page with information on the Ribon exhibit merchandise.
- 26-06-2019: Posted images of Ririka furoku playing cards. They're adorable and I'm really happy I found them!
- 10-06-2019: Updated the furoku list with non-Tokimeki Ikeno furoku.
- 08-06-2019: Made a separate page for zen'in presents and added photos of one Ranze and one Narumi wallet. Also added two Ranze furoku, a poster and a board game.
05-06-2019: Lots of exciting stuff today!
- I've added scans of 10 new Ranze (5), Narumi (3), and Aira (2) furoku I've just received, and a handful more are coming in the following weeks, including two amazing zen'in present wallets.
- My buddy retrosofa was as kind as to scan a Tokimeki feature from an old issue of Animage magazine for me, which you can check out on the anime page.
- Additionally, some Ribon-ten merchandise has been revealed.
- 25-05-2019: Three new Ikeno tankōbon will be released on July 18th: Etō Ranze no takaramono, collecting the Tokimeki side stories from the past few years, and a 2-volume edition of Tokimeki manga-michi, which will collect Ikeno's autobiographical manga series. The Manga-michi tankōbon is slated as "Ikeno Koi 40th anniversary book", so I'm hoping it might be more of a fanbook and contain many other things than just the Manga-michi chapters!
- 17-05-2019: I received the latest Tokimeki items from Belle Maison, and decided to add a few photos to the merchandise page. I expect to also receive some more furoku items in the near future, so check back soon!
- 28-04-2019: I fiddled with the layout a bit and added some more information here and there (mostly on the history, anime, Ranze arc, and Romantic Album pages). Please let me know if you see anything messy!
- 20-04-2019: Added one furoku ("ukiuki wrapping book") to Ranze furoku. That's all the furoku I own, for now! Hope to get my hands on more in the following months. Also, Belle Maison announced they will be releasing more Ikeno Koi merchandise this summer to commemorate her 40th anniversary as a manga artist, so I'll be adding way more information about that as it becomes available! I'm super excited about this.
- 18-03-2019: A new series of Belle Maison x Ribon collaboration merchandise has been released! I've added information about the items to the merchandise page, so go check it out. :)
16-02-2019: I've added two Ranze zen'in presents ("obento-bako pouch" and "letter pouch") and one furoku ("pencil box"). The zen'in presents are super rare, so go check them out! I still have one more Ranze furoku I need to scan and I hope to get my hands on more items in the next few months.
A while back I also added a new page, Ranze chapter list, which is a complete rundown of all Ranze chapters published in Ribon magazine, with images (where available) of Ribon covers, title pages, and furoku. At one point I hope to add chapter summaries as well, and do some statistics things with the information, but that probably won't happen for a while.
- 18-01-2019: I've added a handful more Ranze furoku and also split them into two pages, because there are so many images now! I do have a few more things to add, but they require special treatment before they look nice enough to share. I hope to get around to that in the next few weeks. :)
- 13-01-2019: I've added some more Ranze furoku, and also added a few Aira and Ririka and Nanoka furoku scans shared with me by the generous hotwaterandmilk. I couldn't add so many things to this site if it weren't for the generous people helping me out, so again, thank you so much!
- 12-01-2019: I've recently received a large haul of Ranze furoku and zen'in presents kindly passed down to me from a generous collector. It includes a ton of items I never thought I'd own, and I'm super excited to share everything on this site! I've already added a few items to the Ranze furoku page, but there's much more to come, including more zen'in presents and a bunch of paper crafts furoku, which is something I've previously been unable to obtain from the Ranze arc. Make sure to check back regularly!
- 01-01-2019: Happy new year! As I mentioned a few days ago I've been editing some pages on this site, and so far I've updated the anime and interviews pages with a bit more information. I plan to work on the history page next.
- 29-12-2019: An incredibly kind person with an enormeous Tokimeki merch collection was as kind as to send me photos of her collection of rare Ribon reader presents! These are very expensive items, and you can only really find photos of them in Ribon magazine or on auction sites, so do yourself a favor an go check them out on this new page.
- 26-11-2018: Belle Maison has released a second series of Ribon collaboration merchandise! This time, you can pick up a 2019 calendar, a tote bag, book covers, and much more. I've added information and product links to the merchandise page.
- 04-11-2018: My friend hotwaterandmilk is in the process of creating a comprehensive site about the anime and manga Ai Tenshi Densetsu Wedding Peach, and it already contains a lot of information and great images with more to come. I also added a link button at the bottom of this page, so please go check it out!
20-10-2019: I was finally able to purchase the Ribon no furoku book that came out last July, and I added a bit more information about the book as well as photos of the Tokimeki furoku that came with it to the merchandise page.
- 07-09-2018: My friend retrosofa sent me gorgeous, crisp scans of the 4 illustration cards that came with the Japanese DVD release! Check them out on the anime information page.
- 01-09-2018: My friend retrosofa was as kind as to scan the sleeve of the theme songs LP, so I've added new images to the anime information page. I also received the Belle Maison merchandise, and posted some scans to merchandise!
- 11-08-2018: Added information about exciting new merchandise that have come out recently.
- 07-08-2018: Added two Ranze furoku and four Aira furoku. I now own all 8 playing cards furoku ever produced with Tokimeki art, so that's exciting!
- 19-04-2018: Another book about Ribon furoku will be published in July, and it'll include both a paper crafts Tokimeki furoku and an essay comic by Ikeno about furoku. It's a must-have item for me, and I'll update with details once it's out!
- 01-04-2018: No one saw this coming, but I uploaded the rest of the Ranze arc color pages. I've had enough scanning and editing for now, so I'll go on a break — enjoy!
- 30-03-2018: Added some adorable furoku today! One Aira furoku notebook, Narumi furoku playing cards, and two Ranze furoku here and here (I have so many Ranze furoku scans now, I've decided to spread them over two pages). I have a few more days off work, so I hope to finish posting the Ranze arc color pages I've been neglecting. :) That's about 40 images though, so it's going to take me quite a bit of effort...
03-02-2018: Added a few new Ririka SOS and Oshiete Nanoka furoku to other furoku thanks to the generous hotwaterandmilk. Thank you so much!
Also added some new information about the new side story from the newest issue of Cookie, and a short essay comic Ikeno wrote in an issue of cooking magazine Lettuce Club.
- 27-01-2018: Added a few small furoku I picked up: a Heroine ni naritai furoku (my first!) and a Ririka furoku in other furoku, and one Aira furoku.
- 20-01-2018: I have to apologize for going missing for so many months! My life has become a bit busy, and scanning/editing/uploading color pages and furoku takes more time and effort than you might assume. I still haven't finished scanning everything, but I did add 16 new scans to Ranze color pages.
- 08-10-2017: I picked up some Ranze arc color pages, which is the absolute last thing I'll pick up this year! But you can enjoy the very pretty art in color pages. What I added today is about 1/3 of it, the rest will come later.
13-08-2017: Added four new furoku to Narumi furoku. And now, I really need to hold back on my collecting... if you see me posting more furoku before the end of the year, slap me!
I also added a lovely Aira furoku which hotwaterandmilk on tumblr was as kind as to scan for me. Thank you!
- 05-08-2017: Added one furoku (playing cards) to Narumi furoku. A while ago I also updated the photos of the Ranze and Aira zen'in presents, so I hope they look a little better now!
- 15-07-2017: I filmed a video of my Ikeno Koi furoku collection!
- 20-06-2017: There was a short interview with Ikeno on natalie.mu last year that I completely missed, but I added a link to interviews. The July issue of Baila magazine came with a Tokimeki furoku, and you can see some images in merchandise.
- 06-06-2017: Added two new Ranze furoku. That's it for this time. :)
- 03-06-2017: Added 22 new Narumi arc color pages and some Ribon ads and such.
- 02-06-2017: Added one new each of Ranze furoku and Aira furoku, and added some new photos to merchandise. I received a few more furoku as well as some Narumi arc color pages, so check back for more!
- 29-04-2017: Added some old Ririka SOS music cassette labels to merchandise.
- 09-04-2017: Added two new furoku to Ranze furoku, a zen'in present to Narumi furoku, and images of some old merchandise.
- 05-03-2017: I've received some recent merchandise as well as a few pieces of old furoku! Check out the merchandise page for the novelty calendar and stickers from the Tokyo Skytree Ribon event, and Ranze furoku for some adorable new furoku. I have a few more to add, so check back!
- The new issue of Cookie has gone on sale, featuring a side story about Ranze and her friends at high school, so I added some details to the prequels & sequels page.
- Tokimeki is also featured in the Ribon anniversary exhibit being held at Tokyo's Skythree, where you can enjoy a cup of tea inspired by Ranze! When you buy a ticket for the event, you will also receive a Ribon calendar with a page of Tokimeki art. I want this badly but I probably won't be able to go...
- 30-11-2016: Two pieces of news from Cookie magazine: Ikeno's autobiographical Tokimeki manga-michi, which started publication in Cookie's digital edition back in February, will move to the print edition of Cookie in 2017! I imagine this is because the reader response has been good, so it makes me happy. :) The next issue of Cookie, on sale January 26, will also feature a new 40-page Tokimeki side-story — no details have been revealed yet, but I imagine this chapter will be about Yōko.
- 20-10-2016: Added two new Ririka furoku and 1 new Oshiete Nanoka furoku to other furoku.
- 02-10-2016: Added new information to the bibliography page about Ikeno's short stories which have never been collected into tankōbon.
- 27-09-2016: Added a new Aira furoku notebook.
- 12-08-2016: More new furoku: 2 in Ranze ("daily life note" and "okaimono note") and 4 in Narumi ("minna de party letter set", "eigo no obenkyo note", "hiking set", "pocketable bag"). I have a few other small things to add.
- 08-08-2016: New furoku! Added 3 new furoku to Ranze ("cash book", "obenkyo ganba!! seal", 2 new "kobuta no gakko letter set" images), and 1 new furoku each to Narumi (4 new "sports land collection note" images) and Aira (stickers). More to come!
- 23-07-2016: Added a publications page that explains the different editions Tokimeki is available in, as well as other related publications.
- 17-07-2016: Added one page that was missing from the "Cooking Pair Note" in Narumi furoku. I except to receive a handful of new furoku in August, so check back if you love Tokimeki furoku as much as I do!
- 03-07-2016: Added information about Mai-chan non stop to the Ikeno Koi bibliography, plus cover scans to other art.
- 20-05-2016: Added a link to a comparison of the Tokimeki anime and manga in editorials.
- 16-05-2016: Swapped out the screencaps on the anime page with high-quality versions. Thank you, retrosofa!
- 10-05-2016: Added an Oshiete Nanoka furoku to other furoku. It's super cute, so go have a look!
- 16-04-2016: Finished the furoku list. I'll be adding to it if I find more information.
- 13-03-2016: Added photos of a Ranze zen'in present bag to Ranze furoku. It's an adorable and hard-to-find item, so go have a look!
- 15-02-2016: Added two more Narumi furoku and one Ranze furoku. I own about 60 pieces of Ikeno Koi furoku now, and I'm pretty satisfied with my collection, so I don't think I'll be adding more furoku images for a while. :) Unless, of course, something drastic happens! You never know.
- The digital March issue of Cookie has gone on sale, featuring the first two chapters of Ikeno's autobiographical manga! I've added information about it to the bibliography page. If you want to check out my opinion on each new chapter, try visiting my tumblr at the start of every even month (when Cookie comes out).
- I also picked up some new Ranze and Narumi furoku, and have added some new images to Narumi furoku. More to come later! I have some Ranze playing cards and a zen'in present I can't wait to share.
- I've also added a page called furoku list, but it's very much a work in progress.
06-09-2015: I've received several Tokimeki-related items and magazines I've been waiting for! I updated the structure of the furoku page because there's so much stuff and the pages were getting crowded. You can find new images and information here:
- Merchandise: This new page features non-furoku/zen'in merchandise, mostly those produced for Ribon's 60th anniversary. I've added images of the second "ichiban kuji" raffle prize clear file and the furoku from the August issue of Baila magazine. It also contains information on new merchandise that I do not own.
- Prequels & sequels: Added information about the side story that was featured in the August issue of Ribon.
- Interviews: Added information about an Ikeno interview with Ribon magazine for the 60th anniversary.
- Ikeno Koi bibliography: A lot of old Ikeno titles have been getting ebook releases lately! I've updated this page to reflect that, and added a bit more information.
30-07-2015: Even more Ribon anniversary merchandise with Tokimeki art coming out! Two sets of stamps will be released on August 3 featuring art from 80s, 90s, and 00s Ribon titles. Tokimeki is featured on set 1, which includes other 80s and 90s titles such as Marmalade Boy, Tenshi nanka ja nai, and Hime-chan no ribbon. The stamp sheets will be available at the Post Japan official site, although they do not ship internationally. You can see some nice images at Natalie.
04-07-2015: Exciting Tokimeki news this summer!
- A second series of the Ribon "ichiban kuji" raffle will be held starting August 1. The Tokimeki clear file from the first series was amazing, with two gorgeous large-scale color images, so I'll definitely be picking this one up as well! I've updated the Ranze furoku page with information and an image.
- A new Tokimeki side story will be published in the September issue of Ribon, on sale August 3. You can see a nice promo image on Natalie.
- Shueisha's fashion magazine Baila will feature a series of nostalgic Ribon-themed furoku in their August and September issues. The August issue includes a memo pad featuring Tokimeki art, and I'm hoping the September issue will feature some Tokimeki stuff as well! The August issue goes on sale July 10, but I probably won't be able to pick it up until late July/early August.
07-06-2015: I picked up a few more Ikeno Koi items!
- Ranze furoku: sign-chō (March 1983), playing cards (August 1985), and "ichiban kuji" prize clear file
- Other series furoku: Ikeno Koi art from "Ribon Gallery" (July 1980) and stickers (April 1981), both pre-Tokimeki
- Color pages: art from two side story furoku booklets
I also updated the anime page with a few new merchandise.
29-05-2015: Stylish Tokimeki merchandise for adult women will be released from the Japanese apparel and jewellery maker SuperGruopies! The lineup includes three necklaces, a mirror, a brooch, and a pouch; the necklaces, mirror, and brooch are all items taken directly out of the Tokimeki manga! An absolute must-have for all fans, but the maker doesn't ship internationally, so you will have to use a deputy service if you live outside of Japan. :( I think they'll be absolute worth it, they're all so pretty! The items can be ordered from today through June 14th.
I also recently started another website: mō ichido, shōjo. where I post furoku art from many other Ribon and Nakayoshi series, as well as some articles and translations about shōjo manga that I've written. :D Please check it out!
- Added two more "Memorial Scene Collection" scans to Ranze furoku, and one poster scan to Aira furoku.
- A new prequel manga called Eto Mori no kakeochi will be published on April 24th! I'll be picking it up on the day and will report back. :) In the meanwhile, you can see the cover art here.
- Ikeno Koi was briefly featured in a book about 70s shōjo manga that I picked up at random, called Otona no shōjo manga techō, so I've added a summary of her comments to the interviews page.
- Back in January, Ikeno drew a new piece of Ranze and Shun art for the Ribon 60th Anniversary!
- Tokimeki is also featured on the Ribon anniversary Ichiban kuji, which is a popular raffle at Japanese convenience stores. I've added some images from the official site to the Ranze furoku page.
I'm hoping there'll be much more Tokimeki stuff coming out this year for the anniversary, such as more merchandise and maybe an artbook? We can only hope! I'll be keeping a close eye on it.
While I was at it, I also added a piece of writing to editorials and wrote some more info into furoku and color pages.
- Ranze arc novels: added more information about the novelization to the Ranze page, and added 15 scans to color pages.
- Color pages: 13 scans of Ranze arc color pages and one ad.
- Color pages: 2 scans of Narumi arc color pages.
- Furoku: 8 scans of a Ranze era notebook, poster, and calendar art. Also swapped out the Ranze summer postcard images with bigger scans, and added scans of the backs.
- Interviews: added information about the Ikeno Koi interview in the September 2010 issue of Da Vinci magazine.
- Added a page of editorials, where I hope to feature articles about Tokimeki by me or other people on the internet. Please send me a link if you have written something about Tokimeki that you think I should feature!
- Added a scan of Shueisha Girls Remix vol. 3 to color pages.
- Edited in new information here and there — mostly on the Ranze page (trivia, side stories).