Romantic Album fanbook
Tokimeki Tonight Romantic Album is a fanbook published back in 2000 to commemorate the conclusion of Tokimeki with the publication of Hoshi no yukue. It includes everything a fan could want: a long interview with Ikeno Koi, color illustrations, color pages showcasing merchandise, character bios and story guides, a plan of the Eto mansion, a glossary, messages from Ikeno's contemporaries in Ribon, and even a little quiz to check how well you know your Tokimeki canon.
It has long been out of print, but in 2023 it was reissued as an ebook to commemorate Tokimeki's 40th anniversary and exhibition, and is now available from ebookjapan and other retailers.
Table of contents
- Tokimeki illustration gallery — a selection of color illustrations
- Tokimeki characters guide — a guide to all the main and side characters, including a diagram of their relationships
- Dear Koi-chama — various manga artists from Ribon contribute short letters to Ikeno
- Hagiiwa Mutsumi
- Hiiragi Aoi
- Takahashi Yukari
- Honda Keiko
- Mizusawa Megumi
- Tokimeki road theatre — a summary of all three arcs
- Tokimeki goods collection — a selection of novelties from Ribon magazine
- Tokimeki world tour — a guide to important locations in the story including a map of Makai and the Etō mansion
- Tokimeki premium interview — an interview with Ikeno
- Shufu Yōko-inu no ichinichi — an all-new manga featuring Yōko dog and her family
- Tokimeki sweet memories — a list of the most memorable moments of the series
- Tokimeki tea time — conversations with Ranze, Narumi, and Aira as well as Moevius, Sand, and George about their love lives
- Ranze henshin grafitti — list of all the people and objects Ranze has transformed into
- Rekidai heroine fashion catalogue — the outfits and hair styles of the three heroines
- Tokimeki boys & men check — judging the boys and men of the series based on criteria such as looks and intelligence
- Tokimeki mahō-hyakka — an encyclopedia of magic spells and items
- Tokimeki cult — a trivia quiz
Tokimeki illustration gallery
The following color illustrations have been reprinted in this book:
- Ranze furoku "3-dai rensai hero jumpo poster" (April 1985)
- Ranze furoku pinup "Makai no futari" (July 1985)
- Ranze furoku pinup "Kitchen music band" (July 1985)
- Ranze arc title pages: chapters 20, 29, 41, 43, 52, 57, 58
- Ranze arc side story "Christmas no okurimono" title page
- Narumi arc title pages: chapters 7, 10, 17, 20, 22
- Aira arc title pages: chapters 3, 10, 18, 24, 30, 33
In its 17-year history, Tokimeki was featured on the cover of Ribon magazine no less than 33 times. This book has one color page featuring all these covers, which is a fantastic resource.
This is the number of times the three heroines have each been featured on the cover:
- Ranze: 17
- Narumi: 9
- Aira: 6
Which gives a total of 32. The last one is the cover of the July 1982 issue, in which Tokimeki started serialization. But the girl on the cover isn't Ranze (she has short hair) because the series started in such a hurry that when Ikeno drew this cover, she had yet to make up her mind about character designs.
As an aside, Narumi was featured on the cover of the April 1988 issue, Futaba on the September 1990 issue, and Aira on the November 1991, January 1992, and February 1993 issues of Ribon, albeit along with other series. Tokimeki was also featured many times on the covers of Ribon's various supplemental issues (please see my publication overview pages for detailed information).
This is a page showcasing rough sketches of nearly all the Ranze arc characters, which Ikeno drew for the Ribon editor she worked with all through the Ranze arc. You can really see how good Ikeno is at drawing different types of characters and properly differentiate them in her art! And absolute must-see for fans.
Tokimeki goods collection
By far my favorite color pages of this book feature a huge number of Tokimeki novelties that were made exclusively for Ribon magazine throughout its serialization, either as contest prizes or as giveaways for readers. There are watches, all sorts of bags, stationary, clothing, even an umbrella! It's all unavailable today, obviously, but just looking at these four pages collecting the items makes me happy. Along with the rough sketches, this is a good reason to pick up this book.
Shufu Yōko-inu no ichinichi (One Day in the Life of Yōko-dog the Housewife)
A short dialogue-free comic written specially for this book. Yōko-dog from the Narumi arc of the story has married Narumi's pet dog Run, and is now a housewife with five puppies. The story follows her life and includes a section where she's about to cheat on her husband with a handsome dog who looks not a little like Shun.